Mommy Makeover Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a mommy makeover? Am I a good candidate for this procedure?
- What will be expected of me to get the best results? Where and how will you perform my procedure? What surgical technique is recommended for me?
- How long of a recovery period can I expect, and what kind of help will I need during my recovery?
- What are the different options for Mommy Makeover?
- How can I expect my body to look over time?
1. What is a mommy makeover? Am I a good candidate for this procedure?
"Mommy Makeover" is a term used to describe rejuvenation of the breasts and abdomen. The goal is to address some of the common physical changes that can occur following pregnancy. On the breast, these most commonly include sagging and deflation. On the abdomen, it is often excess skin with stretch marks and bulging.
If more children are planned in the near future, it is better to wait, especially on the abdominoplasty. Additional pregnancies are possible following abdominoplasty. However, the final result may not be as good if the tissues are stretched again with another pregnancy.
2. What will be expected of me to get the best results? Where and how will you perform my procedure? What surgical technique is recommended for me?
The breasts are lifted. If there is volume loss from pregnancy and breast feeding, this can be remedied with the addition of a breast implant. Alternatively, if the breasts are excessively large and causing discomfort, the size may be reduced. In an abdominoplasty, the abdominal muscles are tightened to strengthen the midsection and narrow the waist. Lastly, the excess lower abdominal skin with stretch marks is removed.
The incisions will depend upon the procedures chosen and the techniques utilized by Dr. Hsu. In general, for a breast lift, there is a circular incision around the areola which is carried straight down toward the fold under the breast. It is sometimes called a "lollipop" incision, as this is the shape. Placement of an implant (augmentation) can be done through this same incision if needed. For the abdominoplasty, there is a linear incision from hip bone to hip bone which can be hidden under the bikini line. Depending on the type of abdominoplasty, there may or may not be a circular scar around the inner belly button, as well.
3. How long of a recovery period can I expect, and what kind of help will I need during my recovery?
Depending on the types of surgeries chosen and whether the breast, abdomen, or both are addressed, recovery times will vary. You may go home the same day. Alternatively, Dr. Hsu may recommend an overnight stay if extensive surgery was performed, or if you have other medical issues. In many cases, you will be able to resume most of your normal activities within ten days or less until full recovery at around six weeks.
4. What are the different options for Mommy Makeover?
The surgical options vary greatly from person to person and will depend on your personal goals. Most women choose to combine breast and body procedures such as liposuction, tummy tuck, breast augmentation, or breast lift for their Mommy Makeovers. Dr. Hsu will help you choose the appropriate treatments to meet your needs.
5. How can I expect my body to look over time?
The result of your mommy makeover should last several years under normal circumstances. Once the skin is tightened, it will get a little looser with the aging process, but not much. If, however, one was to gain then lose a large amount of weight after the procedure, the abdominal skin could stretch out again, negatively impacting the overall contour. Likewise, if childbirth occurs, the abdomen will loosen again.